Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Asian Broccoli Salad


Broccoli salad, among many other things, seems to be a popular trend on the food-wide web. I first tried Whole Food's version of this salad in early March. I was about three weeks postpartum with my third child, so my mother-in-law was visiting for the week -- graciously taking my seven-year-old to school and entertaining my four-year-old while I got some much needed bonding time with my little lady. Mom-in-law really appreciates organic foods and healthy living, which is great because my husband and I have definitely gone chewy (I say chewy instead of crunchy because we're only soft-core health nuts). Anyway, a couple weeks after I had Whole Food's broccoli salad, I decided to try my own. Mom-in-law had sent me a couple of links to some other blogger's recipes, so that was a good starting point, but I thought going Asian with the flavors would be great. It was! I got the recipe out last night, and I'm still happy with it. Here it is:

Note: These are all approximations.

Broccoli Salad:

6 to 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1 bunch broccoli

1 small onion, sliced and sautéed in bacon drippings

1 cup raisins

½ cup chopped pecans, toasted

Dressing:

(all approximations -- add more or less for desired taste)

1 cup mayo

4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon honey

½ teaspoon siracha

1 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon Penzey’s spice blend: shallots, onion, garlic, lemon peel, citric acid, chives, orange peel

Salt and pepper

 

Directions;

Fry bacon; remove from pan; sauté onions in bacon drippings. Make dressing. Combine all ingredients (including bacon fat) in a large bowl. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    We've recently launched the site RecipesUS.com where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from American food sites and blogs.

    We noticed that you have a lot of delicious recipes on your blog and we would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.recipesus.com/top-food-blogs

    If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on RecipesUS.com, all you have to do is follow these instructions: http://www.recipesus.com/add-your-food-blog

    Our concept is already live in Sweden, France, the UK and Spain, and we deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some of the top food blogs receive 20,000+ visitors from us on a weekly basis.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Kind regards,
    Senka
    RecipesUS.com, Hittarecept.se, Alldishes.co.uk, Todareceta.es, Touteslesrecettes.fr

    ReplyDelete