Saturday, January 26, 2013

Chocolate Banana-Based Paleo Pancakes

Initially, I wasn't a huge fan of the banana-based pancake batter I found in the Paleo Pals cookbook by Sarah Fragoso. Furthermore, my family and I were really happy with the almond flour option in Elana Amsterdam's The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. As a result, I haven't really given the banana-based option much of a second chance, until this morning because I wanted something quick.

Elana's pancakes are totally legit; however, the length of time it requires to cook them properly is somewhat painstaking. By the time the first batch of four or five is cooked, the bacon and eggs are ready, and everyone is waiting at the table. Meanwhile, I've still got my eyes fixed on the right front burner, waiting to flip those suckers because almond flour is so gosh darn heat sensitive. Nobody likes a blackened pancake, no matter how Cajun they be! (We're not at all Cajun, but I like to pretend.)

While I was on Pinterest the other day, I saw a simple pancake recipe: only eggs, a ripe banana, a tsp of vanilla, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. So, I thought, 'All right, lets give it another go.' Thus, I present the following:




Ingredients:
1 ripe banana
2 eggs
2 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
coconut oil for greasing the pan


Direction:
Mash banana with mixer, add remaining ingredients, mix well. Cook slightly less than a 1/4 cup of batter per pancake on medium heat in an oiled skillet. Once the edges are cooked and the top's bubbles are breaking, flip and finish cooking the other side. Top with fresh berries and a little organic maple syrup. Yum!

Notes: This made 9 small pancakes.

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment