Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chocolate Strawberry Jam Muffins


These muffins are delicious with or without the jam. I made them mini (I always seem to make my muffins mini) because they are easier for my little boys to eat, and the mini size makes them bake faster, thus leaving less time for restless waiting. I enjoy baking breakfast goods in the morning because it adds to the ambiance that I try to achieve in the mornings. Breakfast is a special time at my house. We begin with a Bible story, then continue at the at the with some literature. I'm currently reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone to my boys. I'm so glad that my eldest has reached an age where he can sit and enjoy a good chapter book.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 egg
Strawberry jam

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin tin.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well.
In a small mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, butter and egg; beat well. Add milk mixture to flour mixture all at once; stir until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Divide batter evenly into greased muffin cups. Place 1/4 teaspoon of jam on each muffin; press into batter. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
If making regular sized muffins, use 1/2 teaspoon of jam, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful combination. I'll bet the are especially delicious while still warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, mam! They were best straight-out-da-oven!

    ReplyDelete