Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Blackberry, Cranberry (and Vodka for Mom) Cream Soda


In college, I used to love getting Italian cream sodas at the cappuccino bar we had on campus. And my boys don't drink soda, so I thought it would be a nice afternoon treat for them to try a cream soda. And since I did so many chores around the house today and got in a nice 3 mile run pushing the boys in the stroller this morning, I thought it would be prudent to spike my soda with some vodka. Despite living in New Orleans, I don't usually day drink (especially on a week day), but today I made an exception.

Ingredients:
1 cup of frozen blackberries, thawed and squeezed
cranberry juice
vodka
ice cubes
tonic water
heavy cream
whipped cream
sugar

In an 8 oz glass, I combined 1 oz blackberry juice, 1 oz cranberry juice, 1 oz vodka, three cubes of ice. I filled the glass about an inch from the top with tonic water, then I added the cream and about a tablespoon of sugar. I topped it with some freshly-whipped cream and a sprig of mint. I made the boys' drinks the same way sans the vodka.

1 comment: