Saturday, March 19, 2011

Quadruple-Chocolate Guinness Brownies with Minty Green Icing, as promised...


Previously, I promised to post this recipe, so I am. But I've also decided that it would be prudent to blog about it because I'm likely to lose the recipe in one of my many notebooks that seem to float about my house only to be scribbled in and repossessed by my youngest son.

This recipe is very similar (almost identical) to the caramel Guinness brownies on this blog, which I wrote about approximately a year ago. So, I would call this recipe the perfected version. The minty icing is really the perfect compliment to the rich, dark-chocolate flavor of these brownies, which is enhanced by the coffee flavors of the Guinness.

Ingredients:
Brownies:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1 stick butter
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
2 oz milk chocolate
2 oz white chocolate
4 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
12 oz Guinness Extra Stout

Icing:
5 tablespoons butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream
3 or so drops green food coloring

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a double boiler combine and melt butter and chocolate. In a mixing bowl beat sugar and eggs until fluffy. In a large mixing bowl combine cocoa powders and flour; whisk in Guinness. Add melted butter and chocolate to flour mixture; add the fluffed eggs and sugar, as well. When all ingredients have been well mixed, pour into baking dish; bake 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine and mix icing ingredients, alternating between additions of sugar and milk/cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment